[lbo-talk] Re: Godel's Proof of God

npchilds at shaw.ca npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 23 12:45:22 PST 2003

Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

> DO have creeds... so what you believe is VERY important. We can't
> just brush off "belief" by focusing on "behavior."

>Have any religious traditions other than Christianity inflicted death by
>torture specifically for wrong belief (independent of practice)? If so,
>which ones and when?

Ummmmm, read any annual report from Amnesty since its inception. Torture and execution for adhering (or suspicion of adherence) to the ‘wrong’ religion is a tradition for just about every religion in the world, especially when it comes to dissenters within the same faith; Shia vs. Sunni, Catholic versus Protestant, for example.

You want a specific example; the Islamic theocracy in Iran spent most of the last 24 years (and still might be) torturing and executing members of the Bahia faith.

This is something Christianity has no monopoly on.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon