[lbo-talk] three faces of fascism

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Wed Dec 24 07:03:25 PST 2003

Lipset's POLITICAL MAN provided voting data and the like that suggested that the German Nazi Party's voters came from the lumpen/unemployed and the white-collar middle classes. A lot of university students, too. Of course, the money came from the very rich.

A long time ago, the Frankfurt school folk wrote about the "authoritarian personality" that was attracted to the Nazis and similar groups (including the CP, I believe). An ex-girlfriend of mine did research that indicated that those with authoritarian personalities were attracted to the Hare Krishnas and similar cults. I haven't the slightest idea how valid that research was. Jim

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Doss [mailto:itschris13 at hotmail.com] Sent: Wed 12/24/2003 5:13 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] three faces of fascism

Speaking of the F word and our wonderful Nazi interloper, does anyone know

of any sociological data on who actually joins such groups in the

contemporary West? It would seem to be a pretty whacked-out kind of person

who's going to identify with the most reviled political regime in history. I

don't mean Fascism, I mean Nazism (which are different but related

phenomenon in my opinion; I think Arendt was right on this). I can imagine a

rational person in Italy, say, positively appraising Mussolini as a figure

who made the trains run on time, but Hitler has no plusses at all. (I read

somewhere that the Italian Fascists only executed 13 people for political

purposes; Hitler whacked 400 just on the Night of the Long Knives).

I mean, are these typically uneducated types? What class to they generally

come from? I'm sure Chip has reams of material on this.