[lbo-talk] three faces of fascism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 24 10:18:34 PST 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:03:25 -0800, Devine, James <jdevine at lmu.edu> wrote:

> Lipset's POLITICAL MAN provided voting data and the like that suggested
> that the German Nazi Party's voters came from the lumpen/unemployed and
> the white-collar middle classes. A lot of university students, too. Of
> course, the money came from the very rich.
> A long time ago, the Frankfurt school folk wrote about the "authoritarian
> personality" that was attracted to the Nazis and similar groups
> (including the CP, I believe). An ex-girlfriend of mine did research that
> indicated that those with authoritarian personalities were attracted to
> the Hare Krishnas and similar cults. I haven't the slightest idea how
> valid that research was.
> Jim

Richard Hamilton rubbished Lipset's, "Political Man, " in, "Who Voted for Hitler?, " Princeton University Press, 1982. (Have not seen these by Hamilton. S/B good, "The Social Misconstruction of Reality: Validation and Verification in the Scholarly Community, "Yale University Press. "Marxism, Revisionism, and Leninism: Explication, Assessment and Commentary, " Praeger, "The Bourgeois Epoch: Marx and Engels on Britain, France, and Germany, "University of North Carolina Press, 1991.

On the authoritarian personality reams of data updating in, http://www.hup.harvard.edu/reviews/ALTAUT_R.html The Authoritarian Specter Robert Altemeyer

"Is fascism just around the corner? Will some social crisis or national panic evoke totalitarian solutions? Or are we reasonably protected from arbitrary cancellation of democratic institutions? This book provides assessment of the psychological potential of populations to support, accede, or resist the imposition of authoritarian rule...To our good fortune, Dr. Altemeyer has provided a unique and coherent body of solid scientific information...[and] he deploys a light, clear style and an engaging sense of humor... --Thomas H. Lewis, M.D., Journal of the American Medical Association

On contemporary neo-Nazis, one of the best books I've ever read by a sociologist (he spent a good couple of years getting to know them quite well. The interview w/ Tom Metzger is revealing.) is, "The Racist Mind, " Penguin/Viking Books, R. Ezekiel. -- Michael Pugliese American imperialism has been made plausible and attractive in part by the insistence that it is not imperialistic. Harold Innis, 1948 http://www.monthlyreview.org/sr2004.htm