[lbo-talk] P.S.

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 07:32:48 PST 2003

Yeah, I heard Sahl on NPR's *Fresh Air* yesterday.

While his argument about contemporary comics - that they lack a deep political point of view - is worth serious consideration, I believe there's a certain amount of cross-generational misunderstanding and perhaps envy flavoring his critique.

Even so, I found his description of the comprehensive radicalism of his parents, a lovely mixture of activism and intellectual curiosity common in the pre-World War Two years, very compelling.

I believe his point is that this childhood environment energized his comedy with a fully formed political theory which, in his view, people like Michael Moore and Al Franken lack.

Considering Moore's work for example, which, up until *Bowling for Columbine* was long on *embarrasing the man* antics but short on analysis of systems - even in a comic form - I think there's weight to Sahl's opinion in this matter.

DRM