[lbo-talk] RE: Aetheism

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Dec 26 06:49:21 PST 2003

On Friday, December 26, 2003, at 07:05 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I was thinking in broadly Heideggerian terms of the assumptions about
> the way the world is structured that doing science in the way we think
> of it today (which probably wouldn't be recognized by an ancient or a
> midieval) presupposes.

Well, once you start talking Heidegger, you lose me, quite frankly. I think he was at best a poet, not a philosopher. He doesn't present philosophical arguments of the kind I recognize as arguments, anyway -- just clouds of suggestive verbiage.

> Well, that depends which philosophers you're talking about. Thomists
> and process philosophy types do use the term, but they're not in
> either of the two "mainstream" camps of Anglo-American and Continental
> phil. The latter will employ the term negatively ("overcoming
> metaphysics" in Nietzsche, Heidegger, Derrida and the incredibly
> boring Rorty).

Again, I have my doubts about Thomists and "process philosophers" as genuine philosophers. A necessary condition for being a true philosopher, in my book, is that one be able to think straight: being careful about how one uses words, being able to identify and present sound arguments, etc.

Actually, I tend to have a fairly high respect for Rorty. I certainly don't find him boring.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt