[lbo-talk] RE: Aetheism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 26 07:03:02 PST 2003

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>

>Well, once you start talking Heidegger, you lose me, quite frankly. I think
>he was at best a poet, not a philosopher. He doesn't present philosophical
>arguments of the kind I recognize as arguments, anyway -- just clouds of
>suggestive verbiage.

I guess it's largely a taste thing. Heidegger doesn't argue, he describes (which is what phenomenology is about). I think Sein und Zeit is brilliant.

>Again, I have my doubts about Thomists and "process philosophers" as
>genuine philosophers. A necessary condition for being a true philosopher,
>in my book, is that one be able to think straight: being careful about how
>one uses words, being able to identify and present sound arguments, etc.
>
>Actually, I tend to have a fairly high respect for Rorty. I certainly don't
>find him boring.

Rorty -- talk about somebody who doesn't argue (in his current incarnation anyway)! He strikes me as being so goddamn smug. What's the beef with the Aristotelians? They're as rationalist as you can get.

Anyway I am off to trundle through the snow. Merry Christmas to all -- though remember the real thing isn't for a week and a half, you heretics! :)

_________________________________________________________________ Make your home warm and cozy this winter with tips from MSN House & Home. http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx