[lbo-talk] Merry Christmas!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 26 10:52:54 PST 2003

"Devine, James" wrote:

> But perhaps there are no other victims of depression on lbo-talk. :-)
>
> Carrol
>
> ----
>
> some people found my joke about Prozac to be depressing.
>
> But it's best to face the depressing aspects of our lives frankly. It's also good to look at the non-depressing aspects.
>
> BTW, officially I'm depressed & taking Effexor. Unofficially, I think I'm not depressed but realistic.
> Jim

No one who suffers from depression is lucky (as someone who spends six months in the hospital after an accident is not lucky), but as compared to many depressed persons, I am lucky (as someone who spends six months in the hospital is lucky in comparison to someone who loses a leg). And hence jokes about the mentally ill have never bothered me, but they do bother some, terribly.

Re "realistic" versus "depressed": I cited some research on this list a few years ago, to the effect that the _only_ sector of the population (independent of income, race, gender) who had a realistic conception of their own competence were those who suffered from depression. :-)

Carrol