[lbo-talk] Re: People Who Attend Church More Than Once A Week

Timothy Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Sun Dec 28 19:10:24 PST 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 Yoshie Furuhashi quoted a Jim Wallis NYT op-ed that
> said:
>
> > "[A]ccording to the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press,
> > people who attend church more than once a week vote Republican by 63
> > percent to 37 percent; people who seldom or never attend vote
> > Democratic by 62 percent to 38 percent"
>
> ATTENTION: NUMERICAL SLEIGHT OF HAND IN PROCESS. Offhand, I'd say the
> number of people who attend church an *average* of *more* than once a
> week is very small -- and the number of people who seldom or never
> attend is very big. Especially when you that consider "seldom"
> includes all the Easter/Christmas Christians, which is the overwhelming
> majority of Christians I've ever met.

I can't get my hands on the survey that Wallis is citing. The most recent study on this subject at the Pew web site (http://pewforum.org/docs/index.php?DocID=26) does have a few interesting tidbits, though.

"[S]ignificant numbers of Americans say they would be reluctant to vote for a presidential candidate ­ even if generally well-qualified ­ if the candidate was a member of a specific faith. Nearly four-in-ten (38%) say they would not vote for a well-qualified Muslim for president, and 15% express concern about voting for a well-qualified evangelical Christian. Far fewer say they would not vote for a Jewish (10%) or Catholic (8%) candidate. But fully half say they would not vote for a well-qualified atheist."

There go my presidential ambitions.

For what it's worth, a 2000 survey (http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=32) reports that 45% of respondents attend church at least once per week, and 61% attend at least once per month. These figures are self-reported, so they probably include a bit of wishful thinking on the part of respondents.

--tim francis-wright