[lbo-talk] Re: People Who Attend Church More Than Once A Week

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 30 02:47:08 PST 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Timothy Francis-Wright wrote:

> For what it's worth, a 2000 survey
> (http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=32) reports that
> 45% of respondents attend church at least once per week

If 45% attend at least once per week, I'll bet 40% are once a weekers and 5% are more. Most churches don't even have services more than once a week. What makes Wallis's figure bogus is that it's only for the "mores" -- a very small group of the fanatically religious.

Frankly I find it a pleasant surprise that 37% of fanatical Christians vote Democratic. The Jews, by contrast, who are famously a house divided, only vote 20% Republican.

Michael