[lbo-talk] Atheism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 29 10:44:41 PST 2003

The problem with considering Thomas' "ways" as proofs is that he thinks language about God doesn't work the way language (viz. about things) normally works, God not being a thing. He is quite willing to say that God exists/is good/causes things/etc., but not as we exist/are good/cause things/etc. To say that of God is to speak "analogically," he thinks (not metaphorically).

You're quite right that "The fact (at least Thomists consider it such) that God doesn't exist the way things do doesn't mean the existence of God can't be proven from the existence of the world of things." As you say, Thomas certainly thinks the existence of God can be demonstrated (deum esse quinque viis probari potest) because "there are two types of demonstration," the first "propter quid," that is by arguing from cause to effect; the second "quia," by arguing from effect to cause (Summa theologiae 1.2.2resp). The first he thinks is impossible regarding God, but not the second. The "effect," however is the existence of the world: the "viae" are ways to point out that the existence of the world poses a question -- not *how* it is (that would be the province of what he would call philosophy and we would call science) but *that* it is.

Bertrand Russell said famously that you couldn't ask why the world existed -- it just did. That view is sometimes confused with Thomas' opinion that you can't prove the world isn't eternal -- a different matter. Thomas I think is actually closer to Stephen Hawking, who's said several times, "Why does the universe bother to exists? If you like, you can define God to be the answer to that question." --CGE