[lbo-talk] Review of Joseph Wortis' *Soviet Psychiatry* in "Masses and Mainstream" (September 1950)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 00:10:55 PST 2003

--- "Devine, James" <jdevine at lmu.edu> wrote:
> this reminds me of 1976, when a Maoist in Mexico
> told me that the when the CP took over China, the
> problem of mental illness disappeared.
> Jim D.

Yes, actually I was quite surprized to learn that they even allowed psychiatry at all during the Cultural Revolution. At least the Chinese maoists were somewhat more nuanced than the non-chinese maoists...I had a phobia when I was about 18 and I was told by some american maoists that I just needed to engage in class struggle!!!! I am not exagerating; it's a true story!

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"