[lbo-talk] Review of Joseph Wortis' *Soviet Psychiatry* in "Masses and Mainstream" (September 1950)

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Mon Dec 29 07:07:58 PST 2003

Thomas Seay writes:
>As a side note, here in Beijing I had lunch yesterday
with Chen Xueshi, one of the leading psychiatrists in China. He treated Mao's son (the one not killed in the Korean war) and Madame Mao herself. For his efforts he was rewarded 6 years imprisonment during the Cultural Revolution for promoting "Counter-revolutionary medicine"! Turns out his Red Guard daughter (who, by the way now lives in Hong Kong and is married to the editor of the Chinese edition of Wall Street Journal) found some notes on Freud laying around his office and turned him in. Chen told me that he studied Freud but that at the time he followed a behaviorist model. You can read some more about Chen in that book by Mao's doctor...the transliteration of his name might be different though.<

this reminds me of 1976, when a Maoist in Mexico told me that the when the CP took over China, the problem of mental illness disappeared. Jim D.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4710 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20031229/cd61b896/attachment.bin>