Media ownership: The Silence of the Lambs...

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Sat Feb 1 11:06:23 PST 2003

Nomi, thank you for your very informative comments...that have btw inspired me to learn more on the FCC. But that aside, it is rather obvious that the FCC's Michael Powell is absurd and unbelievable, and his "deregulation is pro-competition" rhetoric is not only unsubstantiated but leading to just the opposite. Since the 1996 Telecommunications Act (deregulation), media consolidation with its ever-increasing lobbying power ($421mln in political donations to Congress ...whoa) has led to:

1. Restrictions on the "widest possible dissemination of information from diverse and antagonistic sources."

2. Government prompted (FCC deregulation) and sanctioned (FCC silence) restrictions on the "free flow of ideas."

which is in violation of the First Amendment as interpreted by the US Supreme Court in AP v. US (1945), see excerpt below:

"That [First] Amendment rests on the assumption that the widest possible dissemination of information from diverse and antagonistic sources is essential to the welfare of the public, that a free press is a condition of a free society. Surely a command that the government itself shall not impede the free flow of ideas does not afford nongovernmental combinations a refuge if they impose restraints upon that constitutionally guaranteed freedom. Freedom to publish means freedom for all, and not for some. Freedom to publish is guaranteed by the Constitution, but freedom to combine to keep others from publishing is not. Freedom of the press from governmental interference under the First Amendment does not sanction repression of that freedom by private interests." [Associated Press v. United States 1945]

http://www.usscplus.com/online/cases/326/3260001.htm

Thanks again, Diane