Schröder's rebuff

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Feb 3 12:44:09 PST 2003

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:35:34 +0000 "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes:
> Am I correct in believing that the SPD's poor showing in the Lower
> Saxony
> elections was basically a referendum on Schröder's handling of the
> Germany
> economy? Reading the US/UK media, I get the impression an attempt
> is being
> made to spin these returns as something of a plebiscite on
> Schröder's
> anti-war stance. What's the story?

I would suspect that it is the case of it being "the economy stupid!" Schröder, would almost certainly have lost the election on the basis of his handling of the economy, except that in the final days of the election, he chose to run against Bush, and so won the election.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com