RES: daily life behind the Iron Curtain

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Feb 3 15:35:11 PST 2003

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de JBrown72073 at cs.com Enviada em: segunda-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2003 17:06

Which reminds me of the following description, in my glittering country, of women on Medicaid trying to get epidurals for childbirth:

"Some doctors and hospitals have been forcing poor women to pay hundreds of dollars in cash for a popular procedure to relieve pain in childbirth, federal officials say, and the government has ordered hospitals to stop de manding such cash payments . . . In some states . . . the obstetrician ordered the epidural in advance, but when the woman was in active labor, she was refused this service for lack of prepayment. Even though she tried to pay by check, credit card and a Western Union money telegram, the doctor refused anything but cash. ... Women said it was humiliating to dispatch their husbands to automated teller machines, friends and neighbors to get cash." This last line should get an award for understatement. (3/8/99 New York Times)

Jenny Brown

-Welcome to the League of Banana Republics.....

Alexandre Fenelon