daily life behind the Iron Curtain

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Feb 3 12:06:21 PST 2003

>> Anesthesia in Russia costs money.
>
>It does in the US too. But I've never met a surgeon that
>would remove an appendix w/o it. (and are we talking about
>the vaunted pre-Gorby Russia with healthcare for all?
>
>It is fucking barbaric to do such a procedure w/o anethesia.

- -It also happened in my country. Until 3 years ago, our public healthcare

- -system din´t pay for analgesia during delivery (so we had a extremely

- -high index of cesarean delivery, since women usually didn´t have the

- -money to pay for analgesia, and weren´t stupid enough to have delivery

- -withouth analgesia).

Alexandre Fenelon

Which reminds me of the following description, in my glittering country, of women on Medicaid trying to get epidurals for childbirth:

"Some doctors and hospitals have been forcing poor women to pay hundreds of dollars in cash for a popular procedure to relieve pain in childbirth, federal officials say, and the government has ordered hospitals to stop de manding such cash payments . . . In some states . . . the obstetrician ordered the epidural in advance, but when the woman was in active labor, she was refused this service for lack of prepayment. Even though she tried to pay by check, credit card and a Western Union money telegram, the doctor refused anything but cash. ... Women said it was humiliating to dispatch their husbands to automated teller machines, friends and neighbors to get cash." This last line should get an award for understatement. (3/8/99 New York Times)

Jenny Brown