Intention (was Re: Unhooking famous violinist)

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Feb 3 21:37:36 PST 2003

Justin wrote:

> A pleasant philosophical parlor game. If you like, I will also prove to you that there > is no such thing as personal identity through time, and therefore you should care less > about what happens to you in particular;

That such "parlor games" convince a person here or there (sometimes maybe more, but I'm not going to argument with you again) is enough to plausibly ground the claim that they have some practical significance.

> It will not because people have been persuaded of the correctness of some
> metaphysical views,

The proposition that "fetuses aren't persons" just is a metaphysical view, although you're probably right that the possible mass acceptance of such a view wouldn't be owed to the musings of metaphysicians.

Jim wrote:

> Well, I think that Miles is on to something here. The
> extreme enphasis that our culture places on the role
> of individual intentions as the determining factor in
> human social behavior, goes far beyond what can
> be vindicated by modern behavioral or social science.

I responded:

Justin wrote:

> Sure, so?

Just pointing out that what Jim wrote didn't support Miles' thesis in any way, shape, or form, a point that you later made yourself.

> Because not everyone is hard determinist or an autonomist?

That libertarians believe in moral responsibility doesn't strike me as odd. That the majority of determinists do, does.

> Anyway, stop with the metaphysics. It's mere entertainment, in fact self-indulgence,

Metaphysics has altered the way I look at the world in ways that I consider to be significant. I'd wager that the same could be said of you.

-- Luke