Dennis Miller's An Idiot

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 4 08:25:23 PST 2003

> Is not he a product of the moronic frathouse style humor that dominates
> late TV shows? If I were to pick the worst type of TeeVee programming
> - it woul dbe my pick. When the revolution finally comes, these folks
> will be among the first to go against the wall.
>
> Wojtek

Yes, but hit them with pies, not bullets. The latter affords them too much respect.

Miller carved a niche for himself as a "smart" comedian on Saturday Night Live. As I put it in an Aug 7, 2000 Ironminds review of his first Monday Night Football outing:

"Dennis Miller's preseason debut on Monday Night Football gave us a clear look at how the American PR machine operates at full throttle, and reminded us that the bulk of contemporary sportswriting is witless, poorly executed and just plain bad . . .

"Some hacks could not resist using such Miller tags as 'I don't wanna get off on a rant here ...' and 'Of course that's my opinion. I could be wrong.' And then there were those who bought into the idea that Miller is 'intellectual.' His references may occasionally mystify the MNF faithful, sang the chorus, but that is a good thing. After all, football is merely entertainment: a brutal form to be sure, but not beyond the reach of a well-placed Mesopotamia jape, or razor-sharp allusions to The Jetsons, Leopold and Loeb, and the Magna Carta as read by Colonel Klink. Thanks to Miller, the bar is raised.

"That Dennis Miller is seen as a cerebral humorist speaks volumes about the level of education in the U.S., as well as the depth of political conformity that makes possible hideous displays like Gore vs. Bush. Miller is a status-quo comic who views the absurdities of our sad existence through the comforting lens of pop culture. His historical references, seemingly exotic to those who've never read Gibbon much less Vidal, can be easily grasped by anyone who bothers to open any almanac. Miller is helped by an excellent writing staff, and he does have his shtick down cold. But like Bill Maher (for whom I once wrote), Miller challenges nothing significant, which is why he'll do just fine alongside Al Michaels and Dan Fouts."

Well, I was wrong there --Miller and Fouts were sacked after two mediocre seasons. But on last count, Maher was against the Iraq war (and sounded very much like Arianna Huffington, who is a close friend), so, as far as "satirists" go, Maher has the current edge.

DP