ex-radical

Reed Tryte reed_tryte at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 10:42:59 PST 2003

That same article in the Nation (http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20020923&s=shatz) says this:

"In "Can There Be a Decent Left?", an essay in the spring Dissent, Michael Walzer--who lent his signature to "What We're Fighting For," a prowar manifesto sponsored by the center-right Institute for American Values--accused the antiwar left of expressing "barely concealed glee that the imperial state had finally gotten what it deserved." (When I asked him to say whom he had in mind, he said: "I'm not going to do that. Virtually everyone who read it knew exactly what I was talking about.")"

I read that Walzer article when it came out and sent him email with the same question, so he knows at least one other person didn't know what he was talking about. His response was (this is almost an exact quote) "I thought there were some people somewhere who were saying that."

The same strange vagueness seems to afflict most people making this case. Unless I've missed something, Peter K. still hasn't, despite being asked by several people (including me), explained who the "leftist flacks for Saddam and Osama" are. I guess it's enough just to assert they exist, rather than going to the trouble of naming them and quoting what they've said.