Mickey Mouse, racist

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Fri Feb 7 11:05:13 PST 2003

When I teach my students about racism in the early 20th century, I often show them Mickey Mouse comic strips from circa 1929 or 1930 -- which are filled with images of the Mouse fighting canabalistic ooga-booga African natives. The sight of the iconic and beloved MM in this context really comes as a shock to students and is very effective as a teaching tool. I've often wanted to do a course kit collecting such images, not just of Africans but also other racial and ethnic groups. Of course, Disney would never grant permission to reprint such stuff. They've gone out of their way to surpess the more horrid material they churned out. This is one reason why the Supreme Courts decision in Eldred versus Ashcroft (upholding a law allowing Disney to hold onto their copyright for another 20 years) is such a drag. It allows Disney to continue to white-wash (if you will) their past. Jeet ----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:43 PM Subject: Mickey Mouse, racist