better world

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Fri Feb 7 14:05:26 PST 2003

At 08:54 AM 02/07/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> > Spike Lee?
> >
> > Joanna
>
>Yes. Get Spike on and have him tell us how, in a Better World, we too can
>make millions while hustling for Nike. I'm sure there's an anti-racist angle
>to profiting from slave labor.

He's not my hero or anything. He's just an interesting case and he is a celebrity, which is what Doug was looking for. What really fascinates me about him is how his identification with Manhattan supercedes all other possible identities. I mean he's really not a "black man" and does not, so far as I can see, identify with african-americans. Yeah, I know, he made a lot of movies that center around racism -- but what was good/bad/interesting about all those movies is how irrelevant/arbitrary the notion of racism was revealed to be in all these movies.

Anyway I find him to be a bit of a misanthrope, a marginally interesting director, and a possibly interesting interviewee for Doug.

Joanna