Mickey Mouse, racist

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Feb 7 17:52:57 PST 2003

When I teach my students about racism in the early 20th century, I often show them Mickey Mouse comic strips from circa 1929 or 1930 -- which are filled with images of the Mouse fighting canabalistic ooga-booga African natives. The sight of the iconic and beloved MM in this context really comes as a shock to students and is very effective as a teaching tool.... Jeet Heer

You can end the lecture with Claes Oldenburg's Geometric Mouse. See:

http://www.ci.houston.tx.us/municipalart/0006c.htm

The one I saw was very large with heavy chain attached to the fallen eye pupils. It would make a nice memorial to the US Empire.

Chuck Grimes