Vanishing Marxism on LBO-talk

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 8 07:47:11 PST 2003

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>[clip]
>
> What about those of us who the right-wing calls Marxists and Communists but
> the doctrinaire wing of the Marxists calls pathetic social reformers?
>
> We need a label, especially for our name badges at the Marxist Section
> meetings at the American Sociological Association conferences.

We might call them _as if marxists_ -- thats how I've always responded to posts from you _as if_ you were marxist. See my earlier post on principled debate.

Incidentally, I think Justin is wrong in saying that Marxism was a movement. The _movement_ was communism, and that movement has _never_ been confined to marxists alone -- or even to communists alone. I don't think that movement is dead, and I think persons of many different "personal" isms will continue to be central even to that movement.

But I still intend to exclude "mind readers" from it. They can be hangers-on, and accepted as such, but they can't be comrades that I trust.

Carrol