RES: Reasons to support war on Iraq

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sat Feb 8 12:45:13 PST 2003

I am not sure if the US will be weakened by war on Iraq. How is this going to happen?

-That´s a reasonable objection, since the US hegemony won´t be increased -in the "worst case scenario" (short war, fast collapse of Iraq Army, -US troops being hailed as liberators). I don´t think it will happen -because: 1-The USA economy had a poor performance last year, despite massive incentives (the analogy with early 90´s Japan comes to my mind). I believe that imperial adventures are costly and the USA can´t afford them in the current situation (and, unlike what happen in the first Gulf war, Japan, Europe and Arab countries are not going to pay the bill, I hope) 2-The US troops will probably be received as an occupation army and not as liberators of Iraq people. 3-Unlike the other wars, we will have the USA troops making the dirty job of invasion/occupation, which can led to a relatively prolonged war.

Even if this happens, what price will the rest of the world have to pay for it?

-What is the price the world pays for continued US hegemony?

Even if this were to happen, it might strengthen Islamic fundamentalism in West Asia in the medium term. I don't see the Left growing in Asia in the coming period.

-That are legitimate concerns. But I don´t know to contain Islamic -fundamentalism. The US fed the beast in the last 30 years and now -are unable to deal with her, because, in a certain way, they are -fundamentalist too. And I doubt if war or its absence will help -the left to grow in Asia. That´s another question.