RES: Reasons to support war on Iraq

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sun Feb 9 07:17:04 PST 2003

Cost estimates depend on various scenarios. I don't know much about the US economy, but Stiglitz estimates the cost of Iraq war at about 0.1 or 0.2 % of the US GDP. Is this beyond the capacity of the US economy?

-I´ve read elsewhere that the cost could achieve up to 200 billion dollars -(2% of GDP). If Stiglitz is right, then the war would be easily afforded. -This estimates, of course, don´t make for the costs of prolonged occupation. -and of a eventual prolonged rise in oil prices

After the fall Baghdad, the US could hand over the law and order to the UN.

-If they go to war withouth UN approval, this will be difficult. And how -will they get the fruits of their agression if they hand back the country -to UN? And I doubt if the UN is able to rule Iraq.

What is the state of Afghanistan today after the Soviet occupation and the US response to it? It's a disaster for Afghans and their neighbours.

-This is the price paid for US hegemony....the Afghanistan disaster was -largely orchestrated by US policies

There are about 400 million Muslims in South Asia. Islamic fundamentalism and its Hindu counterpart is the most important threat to democracy and secularism in South Asia.

-You´re right on this. But I don´t know to what extent the growth of -fundamentalism is related to US imperialism itself. It was related -to US imperialism in the 70´s and 80´s when US actively supported it -against the communist threat. Now, US imperialism is directed against -fundamentalism and this confontation is unavoidable. Maybe it could -end with a defeat to both sides.

Alexandre Fenelon