Relevance of Marxism

soil ride solrde at msn.com
Sun Feb 9 21:25:21 PST 2003

All our action is predicated on predictions about how the future will be. How is this a materialist conception of history, if the present does not serve as the basis for all our action?

Pragmatism or not, the only way to find out if theory is right or wrong is to engage in the world based on information and knowledge from the present. Where does knowledge come from? We, as human beings, receive our knowledge from nature and society-that is the world around us. If we understand ourselves, one could see how fascinated Marx was in regards to Darwin when it came to the human species, in that we have arms to build, hands to handle and hold things, brains to think. The function of the brain is understand the world around us through cognition and figure out the world by being an active element within it. What we have today-and especially in America is how much little information we have about the world-and whatever information that does come through via media the majority of people regard as information they can rely on. Hence-the system is actually working 24/7 to counter what the brain must do in order to make correct decisions about the world- its anti-cognition. One of the main struggles being launched today is the right to conscience-the ability to be able to think and rely on our own thinking on what needs to be done in the world. One may find that one's engagement with the world and the knowledge it receives from engaging in that world actually counters that of the information constantly being fed through media. And this is why Marxism is much more than just a social theory-it encourages that one must act in finding out.

One should take it upon themselves to find out for themselves-