Relevance of Marxism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 21:35:13 PST 2003

soil ride <solrde at msn.com> wrote:All our action is predicated on predictions about how the future will be.> How is this a materialist conception of history, if the present does not serve as the basis for all our action? Of course our predictions are based on experience -- another pragmatist platitude. What did you think I was saying? Marxism and pragmatism have a lot in common.I'm writing up as a paper a talk I gave on this ubject at the Eastern Div. Am Phil Assn in Philly at Christmas. Marx has a better social theory. But it doesn't have a movement anymore. Marxism can't claim the antisystemtic and emancipation movements taht it predicts and describes. Once it could, some of them, because they adhered to it. No more, and, I predict on the basis of experience, never again. jks