Vive la France!

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Feb 10 09:17:57 PST 2003

> He didn't. That's got to be 50 years old and probably more like a hundred
> (WWI maybe). In order to understand it you have to know what 'savate' is.
> When was the last time you saw a cultural reference to savate?
>
> LP

Last week, in a Pixie and Dixie cartoon from the early 60s (part of the Hanna/Barbera stable) that ran on Cartoon Network. My 6-year-old son and I watch old toons together, and there, in that P&D short, was a French cat who went around kicking things, yelling "Le Savate!"

Plus, I studied some savate when I was involved in the martial arts world. As with many things French, it was inferior to better systems, in this case mostly Korean and Chinese (gotta love that, eh Lou?).

DP