Vive la France!

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 10:10:30 PST 2003

<<In order to understand it you have
> to know what 'savate' is.
> > When was the last time you saw a cultural
> reference to savate?>>

When I was going to university in France, some of us in the (then) communist led French student union (l'UNEF) used to get into fights with members of the trotskyist LCR. I recall several people in our group studying Savate in that period.

By the way, we kicked their ass. It turns out trotskyites cant street-fight worth a damn ;) (They were usually the ones to start the fights though.)

In any case, Savate is alive and (more or less) well, so I dont see a cultural reference to it as proof that these lines are old. They might be old, but the reference to savate does not suffice as proof.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"