Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 11 09:56:50 PST 2003

DP:

> Most of my relatives, who are quite conservative, have
> tremendous apprehension about Bush's war. And I've no doubt
> this is true throughout the country. Indeed, I get no sense
> of "bloodlust" coming from the heartland, but you do see it
> among educated elites and their media outlets.

I noticed that - Washington Post does as good of a job in promoting Bush's war as any government owned rag (such as Pravda) would do. But what gets me particularly upset is that most population willingly swallows that crap raw - despite obvious inconsistencies in government propaganda claims. This can be evdienced by most opinion polls, the orgly of flags on cars and trucks (visibly more flags now than after 9/11), and letters to editor and other opinion outlets (exlcusing this one, of couse), Even otherwise left-liberal pubs such as the New Yorker lean toward supporting Bush's position.

That is very upsetting indeed. Reminds me of a scene form a documentary of the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp - the Brits brought residents of the nearby town to show tham what was going on in their backyard. These people were absolutely shocked, ot it appeared so on the camera. But whate really interested me was what were those people thinking when the camp was in operation. It was very unlikely that thy did not know. A more plausible explanation was that they swallowed their government propaganda that the prisoners "deserved" to be there. Only then they could "go with the program" and turned their heads away from the more gruesome attrocities, which could otherwise made them question that "program."

I am pretty sure that similar cognitive processes were at work in Bosnia, Kosovo, Palestine, or Rwanda and now in the US. I do not think that the US-ers are any exception (worse or better) in that respect than ony other nationality. However, because the US as a nation never directly experienced such treatment (as many other nations did) it makes it easier for many people here to trust their government's lies about "foreign threat." On the other hand, many Israelis of Ygoslavs did experience it first hand, but that did not prevent them from paying in kind to their own "untermenschen." Go figure.

Wojtek