Bash your own country (was RE: Vive la France?)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 09:53:37 PST 2003

Interesting question about what I like or dislike about my own country (which happens to be the United States).

Likes:

1) Solitude. Sometimes I just want to be alone. When I lived in Italy, there was this notion of a "giro" (a group of people who do EVERYTHING together). I found that suffocating.

2) Humor. I like the American sense of humor. I could live in France forever (not bashing the french, I am of french ancestry btw) and I would never like Jerry Lewis ( yes, I realize he's American!) like they do. Though I did like the french show "Coccoboys" (doubt it's still on) which was sort of like political muppets.

3) Music (but not the kind you hear on the radio).

4) Diversity. I am not just talking about different minorities ( certainly France is catching up with us on that). In Europe there is this well-established notion of "high culture". Now, there is a good side of that, but it can be suffocating as well. I actually like this lack of tradition in American society, although I recognize its downside.

Dislikes -----------

1) Solitude. It's also one of my dislikes. People have a hard time speaking to one another and bonding.

2) Food.

3) superficial religiosity. I agree with Woj on this one.

4) Patriotism.

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"