Arms inspectors vote on BBC

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Tue Feb 11 10:21:16 PST 2003

At 12:02 PM 02/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Most of my relatives, who are quite conservative, have tremendous
>apprehension about Bush's war. And I've no doubt this is true throughout the
>country. Indeed, I get no sense of "bloodlust" coming from the heartland,
>but you do see it among educated elites and their media outlets. Yet, I know
>for some here, the picture of the knuckle-dragging Amur'can is quite
>comforting in the face of so much uncertainty.

For once, I agree with Dennis. At least, everything I have heard, supports his argument. For one thing, the knucke-dragging Amurricans have little doubt about who would wind up fighting in this war.

As, for the "civilized Europeans" -- sigh -- you know, they did WWI and then a mere twenty years later WWII. One cannot call that either civilized or sane. And then after that...the colonial liberation wars of the fifties/sixties. ...YES. I was very glad to hear that the French/Germans/Russians are putting spokes into the wheels or the "war" plans. But, so far as "Western civilization" goes, I'm with Ghandi. It would be a good idea.

I'd also like to quote my office mate on the upcoming war: "Every time I hear someone talk about the upcoming with Iraq, I want to take a hammer and hit myself in the head with it. We ARE at war with Iraq and we HAVE been at war with Iraq for a decade." And yes, I do realize that what they're planning is a lot bigger and more dangerous than that....but ...

Joanna