Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 11 11:18:02 PST 2003

Joanna:
> For once, I agree with Dennis. At least, everything I have
> heard, supports
> his argument. For one thing, the knucke-dragging Amurricans
> have little
> doubt about who would wind up fighting in this war.

I have a different experience. Most of my co-workers are against the war. However, I see a lot of flags and god bless america stickers on pickup trucks. And there, is of course, the memory of being insulted and attacked by truck drivers and co fo displaying anti-war stickers during the first Persian Guld war. I guess Vietnam war was not much different in that respect, as the anti-war protesters (a minority) were despised by the pro-war majority and beaten up by construction workers.

> As, for the "civilized Europeans" -- sigh -- you know, they
> did WWI and
> then a mere twenty years later WWII. One cannot call that
> either civilized
> or sane.

WWI and II brought a profound instutional changes to Europe making it, inter alia, much less bellicose and much more open, progressive and democratic. US, otoh, has still the antiquated political institutions it had during slavery. That is it. It is institutions that matter. Most people are not bellicose by nature, but become so within a certain institutional context.

Wojtek