RES: Reasons to support war on Iraq

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Tue Feb 11 16:15:19 PST 2003

We have more detailed estimates, thanks to Michael Pollack !

-Will read Michael´s link as soon as possible.

50 years ago the secular nationalism was the dominant tendency, despite greater poverty, backwardness etc.

-I would say fundamentalism grew as a consequence of the failure of -secular nationalism to deal with those troubles. It´s not coincidental -that a informal "welfare net" was one of the key features in -fundamentalism rising.

I am not sure PPP values are the appropriate yardstick to measure China's impact on global trade, investment, technological innovation, control over media etc.

-Agree with you, but neither nominal values are. The "real" values probably -are between those extremes.

Yes, but that doesn't mean anything. China and India need about a century of sustained economic development to abolish poverty.

-Maybe you´re being too pessimistic. If China keep 7% annual GDP growth -rates for 20 years (and India for, maybe 30-40 years), they will almost -abolish poverty. But I would say those high growth rates are not -sustainable in the long term, that is the trouble.

Ulhas

Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra. Scan engine: VirusScan / Atualizado em 05/02/2003 / Versão: 1.3.13 Proteja o seu e-mail Terra: http://www.emailprotegido.terra.com.br/