Reasons to support war on Iraq

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 12 15:46:52 PST 2003

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> -I would say fundamentalism grew as a consequence of the failure of
> -secular nationalism to deal with those troubles. It´s not coincidental
> -that a informal "welfare net" was one of the key features in
> -fundamentalism rising.

It needs to be explained why the failure of secular nationalism did not contribute to the growth of the Left. Why fundamentalism?

>> I am not sure PPP values are the appropriate yardstick to measure China's
>> impact on global trade, investment, technological innovation, control
over
>> media etc.
>
> -Agree with you, but neither nominal values are. The "real" values
probably
> -are between those extremes.

China has yet to cross many hurdles. How long the CP can survive as a ruling party?

> Yes, but that doesn't mean anything. China and India need about a century
> of sustained economic development to abolish poverty.
>
> -Maybe you´re being too pessimistic. If China keep 7% annual GDP growth
> -rates for 20 years (and India for, maybe 30-40 years), they will almost
> -abolish poverty.

Depends on what you mean by poverty. How do you measure poverty in Brazil? What kind of benchmarks you use?

>But I would say those high growth rates are not
> -sustainable in the long term, that is the trouble.

India's 10th five year plan (2002-07) targets 8% annual GDP growth. But that is not likely to be achieved.

Btw, what are the prospects of Brazil emerging as a superpower?

Ulhas