26 Marches in NYC( Re: Judge Denies March Permit, Feb15 Protest Goes On

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Feb 11 18:06:17 PST 2003

Well, according to my sources in NLG's legal observing, there will be at least 26 separate (unpermitted) marches converging on the UN on Saturday.

THe courts and NYC said that people couldn't have a march anywhere in the city, so they will end up with marches everywhere, converging from all over, from New Jersey to Long Island to Uptown. It is going to be one crazy day. The city has converted what would have been a simple legal march into what will inevitably lead to mass arrests and chaos.

Which is all to the good, since it will have full support. Even conservatives in a lot of places are outraged by the court decision, so this kind of civil disobediance in pure support of first amendment rights will be seen as necessary. (As opposed to just randomly blocking the commute- a point I may have made overmuch this morning :)

It's given great publicity to the march in all the newspapers. So we probably can thank Bloombery and Ashcroft for helping to facilitate a much more spectacular event this weekend in NYC.

See here for Feeder March places http://unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=812

-- Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 4:57 PM Subject: Re: Judge Denies March Permit, Feb15 Protest Goes On

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Wall? What kind of wall? Concrete, brick, chain link? Maybe its time
>to `take back the park' as they used to say around here.

Concrete & cops.

>So, what is your estimate of the likely turn out in NYC this weekend?
>You're not seriously expecting the lack of a permit to stop it are
>you?

I think it's going to be big. All kinds of people - not just the usual suspects - say they're going. A friend was leafleting in Chelsea - a fairly upscale, though socially liberal, area of Manhattan - the other day, and he was stunned by the positive response. People came up to him and said "I'm so glad you're doing this."

Doug