Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 11 18:55:08 PST 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>The only thing I can figure out is the national poll sampling
>techniques must be mirroring the political demographics that privilege
>the more conservative Southern and Midwestern states and suburban
>populations over the dense urban and more liberal coastal
>populations. All the polls really seem to reveal is the same political
>division of the 2000 election results.

Not at all. Pollsters use standard Census weightings. Many, maybe even most, would do the undercount correction that the professionals want to do but which the Bush admin wouldn't let them - which would increase the nonwhite/recent immigrant population. But they can't do that because they have to use official numbers. It has to be the way people respond to direct questions as opposed to what they volunteer.

I'm going to ask the pros.

Doug