Judge Denies March Permit, Feb15

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 11 19:10:55 PST 2003

Gavin Newsom, who wants to be the next Mayor of San Francisco. Basher of the Homeless. His marriage to a Getty heir cost $250K. Gay Shame is being charged with, "lynching." Michael Pugliese

San Francisco Bay Area Independent Media Center

Original article is at http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/02/1571034.phpPrint comments. Gays Bashed by Gavin Newsom's Cops by Salem Friday February 07, 2003 at 03:42 AM salem at indymedia.org Police bashed gay activists protesting Gavin Newsom at the San Francisco LGBTQ Center

Tonight in front of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Center in the Castro police attacked 40 members of the radical anti-capitalist queer group Gay Shame that gathered to protest the policies of Supervisor Gavin Newsom. Two lesbian were visibly bleeding from the mouth after being beaten by the San Francisco Police Department. A Indymedia correpsondent was on the scene and witnessed the events. Gavin Newsom was ushered in the doors of the center by Police escort. Gays then tried to enter their own center to voice their opposition to Gavin's policies. The police began beating back and blocking the door to the activists. Police pushed the activists into the oncoming traffic on Market Street and began aggressively hitting the queer activists some of whom were dressed in drag. This is situation is unacceptable for a tolerant city such as San Francisco. Four members of Gay Shame were arrested in the streets. Activists then surrounded the police van in an attempt to block the van from leaving. More police arrived and continued striking Queer activists in the street eventually the situation calmed down and the activists continued to protest the policies of Gavin Newsom, who has ushered in an era in San Francisco which has declared open warfare on the homeless, and has now manifested itself in hate crimes conducted under the cover of the badge. Recently, the SFPD was cited by civilian review boards for targeting African Americans in the Bayview area. Now it seems that queers are not safe for entering their own community center. Activists reminded the police that Harvey Milk was shot dead by similiar interests in the city some years ago and view this as just another manifestation of the war against the poor.

GAY SHAME is the radical alternative to consumerist "pride" crap. We are committed to a queer extravaganza that brings direct action to astounding levels of theatricality in order to expose the evildoers who use the sham of gay "pride" as a cover-up for their greed and misdeeds. We seek nothing less than a new queer activism that addresses issues of race, class, gender and sexuality, to counter the self-serving "values" of the gay mainstream. We are dedicated to fighting the rabid assimilationist monster of corporate gay "pride" with a devastating mobilization of queer brilliance. GAY SHAME is a celebration of resistance: all are welcome. www.gayshamesf.org

-- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy