Arms inspectors vote on BBC

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Tue Feb 11 16:03:33 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>That does not surprise me at all. Most US-ers are ignorant and arogant
>buffoons who will use every opportunity to show their superiority by
>"kicking butt." They love Bush an cannot wait for his invasion of Iraq,
>so they vicariously participate in this "butt kicking" and then feel
>superior about themselves.

The distance between the BBC poll and the US-based poll is distressing, even allowing for the nature of such net polls.

I don't know about the "ignorant and arrogant buffoons" bit, but it would appear from the Wash. Post report that indeed there is quite a stomach for "kicking butt". Not so much as to kick butt alone, but with "old allies", the Brits, Aussies and Italians. Don't ask me how Italians became "old allies".

As for "bringing democracy", the same report indicates there isn't anywhere near as much stomach for that if it takes years and some 15 billion a year.

>Europeans, who are more civilised and also experienced the horrors of
>war themselves, are much less gung-ho.

More civilised? Really? More like a load of horse shit. As also that experience of the horrors of war are somehow cleansing. Besides which, what proportion of Europeans today have had experience of the horror of war or have close relatives who have? Given the relative recency of Vietnam, and given Washington's happy to invade/go to war position, there's probably a higher proportion of Americans with relatives who have had experience of war, or are in the position of having to go to war.

kj khoo