The Lerner Affair

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Feb 12 06:35:53 PST 2003

Steve P:

> Kelley, I think Lerner exercises his right to pick and choose who writes
> in his magazine, no? Has Lerner ever invited Lenni Brenner or Chomsky or
> Said in his magazine? Must he to defend their "first admendment rights"?

A public rally is not a private magazine. Editors may choose what they want to publish in their mags, and those who get rejected can't cite the First Amend as back-up since the government isn't muzzling them. They have other options, including self-publication.

A public rally is different. Now of course organizers can invite or not invite whom they wish to speak, but the ground's a little shakier here. If this SF rally was organized by the three non-ANSWER groups and they decided against having any ANSWER or IAC-related personnel speak, I think you'd hear a howl from the WWPers, and rightly so, given that the ANSWER crowd are (har har) "antiwar," at least in this case. But if that rally's organziers were truly inclusive, they would have a WWPer wailing the line of the day, most likely to distracted and very bored spectators.

I'm not terribly fond of Lerner and haven't read Tikkun in years. He may well be a publicity hound. But if so, he certainly isn't out of step with ANSWER, which scarcely runs from cameras or mikes or any stage that'll highlight its members.

DP