The Lerner Affair

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Feb 12 07:32:37 PST 2003

Clearly it was not a good idea for the whole coalition to agree that no "critics" of any of the coalition's members could speak. That sends a message that debate and critique within the movement is not allowed. The Lerner flap illustrated that vividly -- obviously he's someone who should be included. But I didn't sign that petition because the very last sentence of it revealed that its agenda was not to improve the rally but to divide the movement. They were making ANSWER's existence the issue when the point is that people can have criticisms and still be part of the movement. However, I hope some good will come out of the whole mess -- organizers probably won't agree to that "no critics" rule next time.

Liza