Have I gone 180?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 12 18:41:09 PST 2003

Peter K asks: I don't have a dog in this fight, but you seemed to have done a 180. Maybe next time you should wait to read what Cockburn has to say before writing.

--nope, what i said was he makes a decent argument, much better than the dennis/cooper/lerner "i've been denied my first admendment rights" argument. The forward from the member of Jewish Voices for Peace confirms what I kind of suspected (Liat was her name?)...I remain pretty much of the view that Doug has on this, as well as Yoshie.

I do think the argument that Max puts forth, re: strategy is an important one and worth airing out. I tend to have a different take on that issue. But that argument is one I have with the Nader approach of 'broad coaltion' strategies, one that we've had on this list before and was quite interesting. I feel that sometimes that strategy backfires, eg. during anti-NAFTA struggles, the core activists message of solidarity across borders gets lost as the media focus on the Buchananite elements or celeb figures like Perot and their anti- immigrant message...

I do respect that Max comes up with serious arguments, he keeps people on their toes and that's good for people on all sides of an issue.