Diverse movement(s) (was: Re: The Lerner Affair

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 13 06:56:28 PST 2003

Thomas Seay wrote:

> What I intend is a network of movements that converge
> at times (say, for a big demonstration), but work
> autonomously of one another. Of course there would be
> discussion around common convergences, but there would
>
> be much looser coupling.

This is how the anti-globalization and anti-capitalist movements functioned and we can see how this is becoming the de facto form right now. The problem is a few diehards who persist in arguing for and organizing for ONE movement.

> I dont see the need for "unity", because such calls
> for unity mean that some group in charge of deciding
> what should be united around gets to trot out its
> procrustean bed and amputate the desires and programs
> of other groups and individuals.

Unity is impossible in a common movement with many competing and different tendencies. Unity is more possible when there are mutliple movements in that the movements are united in the desire to stop a war. The specifics of their analysis and their tactics might differ, but they have common ground in opposing the war.

> All of us at the marches this weekend will be against
> the war. That is all the "unity" we need. It does
> not matter that we criticize each other and that we
> raise our differences. We dont have to be like family
> members who yell at each other at home and then show
> up in public all hugs and kisses.

Exactly.

> I have no problem with any group, including WWP,
> participating in such a movement of movements.
> I do have a problem with groups trying to impose their
> will on others, and trying to gain hegemony over
> others in that movement.

I also have no problems with the WWP being part of a movement of movements, but as long as they place themselves at the head of ONE monocultural movement, I will be vocally opposed to their hegemony.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips