Diverse movement(s) (was: Re: The Lerner Affair

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 23:16:35 PST 2003

No Lou, I doubt you agree with Chuck and I on the question of multiplicity. I think you mean that you are for coalitions. The coalition would have some kind of leading committee that would determine the roadmap for the coalition.

What I intend is a network of movements that converge at times (say, for a big demonstration), but work autonomously of one another. Of course there would be discussion around common convergences, but there would

be much looser coupling.

Now, it is true, this is coming to pass in the anti-war movement, in spite of groups, whether it be ANSWER, NION or some other. However, when I learn that 4 groups decide that they will exclude someone from speaking if s/he has criticized one of them, that is the problem I have with the current state of affairs and with "coalitions". Mind you, I am still not clear on the Lerner affair. Perhaps you are right that this is some scheme he concocted. Nonetheless, that does not change my feelings about the above mentioned clause.

I dont see the need for "unity", because such calls for unity mean that some group in charge of deciding what should be united around gets to trot out its procrustean bed and amputate the desires and programs of other groups and individuals.

All of us at the marches this weekend will be against the war. That is all the "unity" we need. It does not matter that we criticize each other and that we raise our differences. We dont have to be like family members who yell at each other at home and then show up in public all hugs and kisses.

I have no problem with any group, including WWP, participating in such a movement of movements. I do have a problem with groups trying to impose their will on others, and trying to gain hegemony over others in that movement.

-Thomas --- LouPaulsen <LouPaulsen at attbi.com> wrote:

> [...]

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"