Bill Bailey

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 13 00:28:00 PST 2003

Thanks Dennis for reminding me of Bill Bailey. <URL: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPbailey.htm

Wonderful fellow, RIP. SF DSA once had him lead a walking tour of local radical history locations. Another great figure local, a Red with nothing to apologize for, William "Bill" Sennett, who fought in Spain in the Int'l. Brigades. Was a leader of the Illinois CP. Has a great Ralph Fasanella paiting in his living room. Fascinating on the dillemmas faced by "Fifth Amendment" Communists...that dared not speak the name CPUSA. Song title by the Gun Club, "Bill Bailey." No relation. <URL: http://www.furious.com/perfect/gunclub3.html

Lead off track "Bill Bailey," which takes its name and first line from a traditional number, is supposedly about Nick Cave. -- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy