Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 13 17:42:59 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hmm. Most of the "cashiers, waitresses, and other service workers" I
> run into in NYC *speak* accented English. Ain't it like that in Balto?

I took a younger man who had never been out of the midwest with me to the '68 MLA convention. We went into a delicatessen next to the hotel to get some food to take to our room. After we left, he asked me (I can't remember the exact words at all) something to the effect of whether all the delicatessen workers were foreign? I forget now what the particular accent (or accents) was (were) that puzzled him.

Carrol