oh intellectuals! was Re: Bash your own country

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 14:07:34 PST 2003

--- Steven McGraw <stmcgraw at vt.edu> wrote:
> At 07:27 PM 2/15/2003 +1100, you wrote:
> >Steveb McGraw writes:
> >
> >> I often wonder what exactly the charge of
> anti-intellectualism refers to.
> >> I have been called anti-intellectual for saying
> that dockworkers should
> >> make more than English lit profs,

I dont understand the point of this discussion at all. The dockworker should struggle to get as much money as he can and the English lit professor should do the same.

What is the use of pitting the one against the other?

Pugliese has told me he had encountered people on the Left who complain that Martin Jay, author of "Dialectical Imagination", drives a BMW. So what is he supposed to do? Ask UC Berkeley to pay him less so that he can be poor and "look" like somebody's stereotype of a "leftist".

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"