oh intellectuals! was Re: Bash your own country

Steven McGraw stmcgraw at vt.edu
Sat Feb 15 14:39:31 PST 2003

At 02:07 PM 2/15/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>--- Steven McGraw <stmcgraw at vt.edu> wrote:

>> anti-intellectualism refers to.
>> that dockworkers should
>
>I dont understand the point of this discussion at all.
>The dockworker should struggle to get as much money as
>he can and the English lit professor should do the
>same.

Privileged individuals should not "struggle to get as much as they can." That is the logic of a market.

>What is the use of pitting the one against the other?

I am not pitting anyone against anyone else. The professional and the laboring class are already in competition.

>Pugliese has told me he had encountered people on the
>Left who complain that Martin Jay, author of
>"Dialectical Imagination", drives a BMW.

A Neiman Marxist, so to speak?

>So what
>is he supposed to do? Ask UC Berkeley to pay him less
>so that he can be poor and "look" like somebody's
>stereotype of a "leftist".

Yes. Or make donations to some worthy cause. Why do you consider this an absurd idea? Are you also against a graduated income tax?

Consuming at a responsible level does not mean "being poor." Jay's obnoxious habit of tooling about in a BMW may not weaken his analysis, which I hope we can look at with some objectivity to avoid resorting to ad hominem, but everyone has a moral obligation not to take more than his or her share. This might even entail (gasp) making personal sacrifices.