oh intellectuals! was Re: Bash your own country

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 15:14:53 PST 2003

Right. Hey, Brad, Joanna, and any of my other work colleagues. What do you say we pass the hat and give some of our money back to our employer OR something like "Save the Children" or UNICEF. WE are the source of the problem. By the way, anybody know where I can get a haircoat and cat o' 9 tails, I suddenly feel the need to mortify my flesh or at least go fast in a desert.

-Thomas --- Steven McGraw <stmcgraw at vt.edu> wrote:

> Privileged individuals should not "struggle to get
> as much as they can."
> That is the logic of a market.
>

> >What is the use of pitting the one against the
> other?
> >

> I am not pitting anyone against anyone else. The
> professional and the
> laboring class are already in competition.
>

> >Pugliese has told me he had encountered people on
> the
> >Left who complain that Martin Jay, author of
> >"Dialectical Imagination", drives a BMW.
>
> A Neiman Marxist, so to speak?
>
> >So what
> >is he supposed to do? Ask UC Berkeley to pay him
> less
> >so that he can be poor and "look" like somebody's
> >stereotype of a "leftist".
> >

> Yes. Or make donations to some worthy cause. Why
> do you consider this an
> absurd idea? Are you also against a graduated
> income tax?
>
> Consuming at a responsible level does not mean
> "being poor." Jay's
> obnoxious habit of tooling about in a BMW may not
> weaken his analysis,
> which I hope we can look at with some objectivity to
> avoid resorting to ad
> hominem, but everyone has a moral obligation not to
> take more than his or
> her share. This might even entail (gasp) making
> personal sacrifices.

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"