oh intellectuals!

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 15 22:31:44 PST 2003

Thomas>>> ...Pugliese has told me he had encountered people on the Left who complain that Martin Jay, author of "Dialectical Imagination", drives a BMW.

>> A Neiman Marxist, so to speak?

>>> So what

>>> is he supposed to do? Ask
UC Berkeley to pay him

>> less

>>> so that he can be poor and
"look" like somebody's

>>> stereotype of a "leftist".

Yup. That was from the mouth of the grad student who led the Deleuze- Guattari, "Anti-Oedipus, " study group I was in about 10 yrs. ago, with Eric Kirk, my Red-Diaper Baby friend and Bill Hall, who when I lived with him would have Linda Evans from the Weather Underground, then still in Federal Pen. (was pardoned by Clinton) call our houise collect. One time she called, I picked up phone and dead panned that we loved her acting on Dynasty! Thank gawd she laughed.

Was it in the NLR excerpts of letters to and from Marcuse and Adorno, that it was mentioned Marcuse had servants and very haute bourgeois table manners?

-- Michael Pugliese

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy